Marriage Equality List


Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus

There is much confusion about which states have what types of same-sex relationship laws.  We’ve compiled the list below to make it a bit easier to understand.  We will continue to update the list as the laws change.

If you have questions about the laws or the impact that they may have on you or your partner,  please contact us or post a comment below.  We really appreciate your feedback!

Allow marriage:Marriage Equality List

  1. New York
  2. New Hampshire
  3. Vermont (learn more)
  4. Connecticut
  5. Iowa
  6. Massachusetts
  7. Maryland
  8. Maine
  9. Washington
  10. Washington DC
  11. Delaware
  12. Rhode Island
  13. Minnesota
  14. California
  15. New Jersey
  16. Hawaii (learn more)
  17. Illinois (commencing June 1, 2014)
  18. Utah (marriages halted pending appeal)
  19. New Mexico
  20. Virginia
  21. Texas  (enforcement stayed pending appeal - learn more)
  22. Tennessee

Provide same-sex couples can enter into a domestic partnership:

  1. Nevada
  2. Oregon
  3. Colorado (designated beneficiaries)
  4. Wisconsin (learn more)

Ruling that trial courts have the ability to hear divorce procedings terminating same-sex marriages created in other jurisdictions:

  • Wyoming
  • Kentucky

Momentum for Marriage Equality Continues with Michigan Ruling

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus


Michigan today became the latest state to have its ban on marriage equality ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge.

To see the full story, follow the link below:


More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus


When Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC started the Nontraditional Couples and Families Practice in 2001, I would speak to groups about same-sex couples not having the ability to use any Federal laws regarding marital status .  There were about 1,400 laws from the Federal government unavailable to married same-sex couples. Then it became about 1,100 laws that same sex couples  were excluded from.  Now I am happy to say that the Obama administration and the Justice Department will instruct all of its employees across the country, for the first time, to give lawful same-sex marriage sweeping equal protection under the law in every program it administers.  In a new policy memo, the department will spell out the rights of married same-sex couples.

Some of the federal rights you now have are: the right to decline giving testimony that might incriminate your spouse, eligibility to jointly file bankruptcy, and 1,098 more!  I will place the list on our blog, when it is out.

For more information, please follow the links to the two news articles below:

Maureen B. Cohon, Esquire – Chair, Nontraditional Couples and Families Group



The Expanding Power of U.S. v. Windsor

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus

The effects of the Supreme Court’s ruling last June striking down the core of DOMA, continue to ripple outward.  The ruling on same-sex marriage is used to protect gay jurors.

See the full New York Times story by following the link below:

Judge Alarms Gay Parents by Finding Marriage Law Negates a Need for Adoption

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus

A ruling by Brooklyn Surrogate’s Court judge, Margarita López Torres, on Jan. 6, has exposed one of the new legal complexities facing same-sex couples with children.

To see the full New York Times story, following the link below:

Same-Sex Marriage Legalized in Scotland

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus


The Scottish parliament on Tuesday voted to pass the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Bill.

Virginia’s Attorney General Will Not Defend State’s Same-Sex Marriage Ban

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus


It’s a move that could give gay marriage its first foothold in the South.

See the complete New York Times story by following the link below:

Oklahoma Judge Declares State’s Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus


On Tuesday, a federal judge in Oklahoma held that the state’s 2004 constitutional amendment limiting marriage to opposite sex couples violates the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution.  Though the 2004 amendment had passed with 75% support of Oklahoma voters, the Judge concluded: “Equal protection is at the very heart of our legal system and central to our consent to be governed. It is not a scarce commodity to be meted out begrudgingly or in short portions. Therefore, the majority view in Oklahoma must give way to individual constitutional rights.”

The ruling will not take effect until after any appeal to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals is resolved, meaning that same-sex couples are not yet eligible to marry in Oklahoma.

Kate R. Payne, Esquire
Associate, Litigation



Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Same-Sex Marriages in Utah

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus

Justices Block Gay Marriage in Utah During Appeal of Case

To read the complete NY Times story, please follow the link below.



Governor Corbett has come out in support HB and SB300!

Share to Google Buzz
Share to Google Plus


We want to thank Governor Corbett for his decision to back HB 300 and SB 300.  Thanks also go to Ted Martin and Equality PA for making all of us understand the importance of HB 300 and SB 300 and to all others who took part in making this decision happen.

To read the whole story, follow the link below: